If you choose to follow the Beyond the Classroom trail, two to four mornings a week you will be in a classroom(K-4) at our local Christian school under the direction of a qualified, experienced teacher. You will be learning how to teach effectively across cultural lines, useful educational games, and will take a two week certified course where you will learn how to teach others to read English. Whether you are a trained teacher already or wanting to become one, this path is for you!
Beyond the Classroom Curriculum
- Understanding a Biblical Perspective of Education
- The responsibilities of a teacher and God’s heart for children. Putting God’s truth into a cultural context.
- How to create and manage a learning environment and prepare lessons.
- Child development, learning styles, and character development
- Teaching how to read English – first week of intensive
- Second week of intensive
- Creative learning – learning how to use drama, songs, and art, in a creative way.
- The health and safety of a child – dental hygiene, “Keep Safe” programme, washing hands and bathing, and how to lead a child to Jesus
- Jeannie Mears- Loving and teaching children with special needs.
- How to access basic needs in children
- Debrief on lecture phase – preparing for outreach
Outreach is your opportunity to take everything you learn over the first three months of your DTS and apply it out in the mission field. Your outreach will be focused around the contents of your trail. . Beyond the Classrooms’ focus area are the islands of Vanuatu and possibly the neighboring island nations.
You must be able to read, speak, and write English.
Beyond the Classroom trail requires a police clearance.
April 1 – September 20 2019
Lecture phase is USD 3500.
This cost includes your accommodation and food.
(Contact us to see if you are eligible for a sponsorship.)
Outreach phase will vary by locations.